Friday 29 December 2006

Found views of Guest , by Phantom blogger

hi all, have just been talking to a gentleman who has taken part as a interviwee in the Crisis Open Christmas survey of guests survey, i will allow him to express his own views by letting him type the next passage......

Hi - this is my fifth year of using Crisis over Christmas and in general I think it has improved a bit. However, ironically one of the things I liked least was my experience of the guest survey in the main shelter. I had just come from the so-called quiet room, where I had been quite happily minding my own business and doing some reflecting when a gentleman from the Samaritans went out of his way to engage me in conversation. Because I know that (because they are the Samaritans) they find it difficult to get people to talk to them, I thought I'll be nice to him and talk to him - and I was more open with him about my thoughts and feelings than, in retrospect, I should have been - I made it clear that this was a casual not a "Samaritans" conversation, but he misinterpreted something I said and started laying a whole trip on me in an icredibly patronising way - I had to ask him to go away - they're as bad as Christian fundamentalists or Trotskyites. The whole thing actually really brought me down - it was a complete imposition. Anyway, having failed to get any peace I returned to my friends in the main shelter and agreed to the survey. Look, this was the last survey this guy did for the day, he was probably tired, bored and had a stinking headache, but still, it was a pain. I wish I could remember details, but fundamentally, while saying that I should take as much time as I liked and should say what I liked, it was obvious that the opposite was the case - he had an agenda, I didn't have the time to reflect on what to say that I wanted - consequently I didn't remember things - I wanted to look at the questions (because some things could be said in different places, and it wanted to look at where to put them, but all he wanted to do was fill in boxes with simple remarks, he kept filling stuff in or writing stuff and then saying is that OK - he wanted me to agree to certain things because then Crisis can get more money for those services etc etc. Particular comments of mine were truncated so that they didn't make sense. Look, I have previous experience of Crisis so called Research - and I know that the conclusions have been drawn before the survey is done - it wasn't much different from what I expected.

Theses are the views of a guest, i had a chat to and asked if him,if he liked to
express his views to the Phantom blogger and to the bigger audiance...The Phantom Blogger
Interviewee, verfied by Chris Clements C.O.C ..

No comments: